Winter is has arrived! Winter can be a trying time both physically and mentally for many. The days are darker, colder and shorter. We may become more susceptible to all kinds of winter nasties. Being proactive about your health and wellbeing will help keep you healthy through the winter.
Here are some tips to help support you and your immune system this winter:
- Wash your hands. Yes, this is classic, old school advice. We all do it, or at least I hope you do! Make this a priority, and not just after you use the bathroom. Washing your hands throughout the day is important to staying healthy.
- Exercise. Move your body. While it is always important to have exercise as part of your routine, it is more important in the winter as this is a time when some are more naturally sedentary. Having a regular workout routine is a great booster to your immunity. It also improves your mood and raises your energy which can be zapped during the winter months.
- Sleep. Nothing is more restorative than sleep. Enough sleep is just as important as nutrition and exercise.
- Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Try to amp up the color, variety and amount of your fruits and veggies. Nothing substitutes for a healthy diet.
- Relax and Meditate. Cortisol is one of the main stress hormones and is an immune suppressant. Meditation and deep breathing are great ways to de-stress. Studies how people who meditate sleep better, live longer and are less depressed.
- Vitamin D. Aka the sunshine vitamin. Vitamin D levels often drop in the winter. Vitamin D is very important for several core immune system functions. Having a vitamin D deficiency can affect nearly every cell in the body. Putting you at risk for seasonal threats and mood swings. Ask your doctor to check your levels.
Wishing you a happy and healthy winter!